Monday, January 18, 2016

Rotten Row


When researching riding habits, inevitably, one comes across any number of prints and paintings depicting Rotten Row and riding in the Row. Rotten Row (corrupted from Route du Roi, or the King's Road) is a bridle path in Hyde Park, that was thee place to be seen riding in London, most famously during the 19th century. Riding there in the morning was quite a social, and fashionable, experience.

Much to my delight, one can still go for a ride there! I booked an early morning ride, before the joggers and cyclists came out. The park was beautiful and misty and quiet. I could not believe we were right in the center of London!


Not quite side saddle, but I'll take what I can get! I got to ride a cute little Irish Cob named Buzz. 





And there it is, Rotten Row. Check one off the bucket list!


Now I'm quite inspired to make a riding habit. I can't believe I haven't made one yet! Goal for this year, I think!

7 comments:

  1. Caroline, how wonderful! I'm in London next week, how do I go about arranging for a morning ride? I remember seeing riders in Hyde Park as a kid and it just blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and I probably should have Googled before posting. Hyde Park Stables?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! There are two riding outfits in the same Mews, but I rode with Hyde Park stables. Go early!

      Delete
  3. I am jealous as well! It has always been my dream to ride into such wonderful mist, just like on the photo. Photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, the mist was unreal! So beautiful! They didn't allow photos while you were riding (safety reasons), so I walked back through the park just so I could get some photos.

      Delete