This weekend, my husband and I popped down to Death Valley for a little vacation. We stayed at the lovely, and delightfully retro, Furnace Creek Inn.
Built in the 20's, after the decline in the mining boom, it was opened to draw a new kind of people to Death Valley: the tourist. There are loads of great old photos of tourists from the 30's enjoying the spring-fed pool and visiting the mining-era relics. Walking alone in the hotel, you feel like you could be time traveling. Then you see people and pouf, you're back in 2014.
| Wearing History's Smooth Sailing Trousers, worn at the Furnace Creek Inn. |
Well, since I had a couple days before the trip, and I had finished up my Sew for Victory blouse, I thought I should make up the pants from the pattern to wear on our trip. I used Wearing History's Smooth Sailing pattern and some soft navy linen I had. They went together in a snap. I had actually traced out a vintage trouser pattern I had (Simplicity Primer 3322), and for kicks, I compared it to the Wearing History Pattern. They were so similar, I decided to use the modern pattern. I'm glad I did because they were so easy and fit great!
| A look at the back, and a glimpse of the Date Garden. |
I felt very snazzy in them and they were so comfy! So cool because of the linen and the wide leg. I thought they looked very stylish. I doubt anyone knew they were retro. But I did! And I felt very much the 1930's tourist, admiring the vistas and the old days of the prospectors, the railroad and the mining towns, which my husband and I are very interested in.
| Cozying up on a bench that once sat at a Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad Station. It now sits at the Borax Museum at the Furnace Creek Ranch. |
Well, as I said, they went together easy and fast. There's two pattern pieces and a waistband. I graded two sizes together, while tracing, and didn't make any other adjustments of allowances. Next time, the only change I will make, will be to adjust the back waist area of the trousers to allow for a sway back. They would be totally perfect if they didn't make that slight wrinkle at the back waist.
I went with a metal zipper. It took a bit of getting used to, seeing the zipper, but I quite like it now. I was just so used to seeing modern, invisible zippers. I chose to set it in by hand, which I quite like.
The day I wore these pants, we popped up to tour Scotty's castle, which is a beautiful spanish style mansion built in the 20's. They let you take photo's inside, so soon up I will post and share and we can all visit the castle!
| Death Valley Ranch, also known as Scotty's Castle, in Grapevine Canyon. |
So cute! They look super comfy. Now I want a pair... (but my sewing list is already so full!) Coloring the button hole interfacing is a totally reasonable and oft-used trick. ;)
ReplyDeleteBest,
Quinn
Aha interesting! Good to know.
DeleteThey go together super fast - maybe you can squeeze a pair in soon!
Those pants are great! Your outfit looks comfortable, yet chic! Kind of Jackie O!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342
ReplyDelete