I'm back in the states after two great weeks of vacation. Ah, England, I love it there. I could have stayed forever. Bought a country estate, some horses, a butler... Dreaming.
But since we couldn't buy a house and title, we just bought lots and lots of goodies to bring home :)
I did tons of antique shopping. Things I search and search for online and in the states are a dime a dozen across the pond. My favorite place to shop is Portobello Market. I can't tell you how long I've been looking for a nice silver toast rack - well, I was absolutely tripping over them there. Kicking them out of my way, there were so many!
I saw some of the most beautiful 18th century antiques, as well. I had the privilege of opening up a couple exquisite etui cases and pulling out all the bits. There were fashion plates everywhere and thimbles and sewing cases and gorgeous lace! Be still my beating heart.
I have so much to share. I think I'll start with a little Saturday trip to Portobello Road.
 |
Yawn! Good morning.
Look out the window. |
 |
| Grab your umbrella and lock the door. |
 |
| Mmm breakfast. Tea please! |
 |
| Catch a cab and lets go. |
 |
| Let's start walking. It's early and it's already crowded! |
 |
Look at the gold work on this lovely
18th century bag! |
 |
A 1770's tortoiseshell etui. You can see the
1760's chonoiserie etui just behind.
More on these and the bag later! |
 |
| Lunchtime! |
 |
Let's share a ploughman's.
Glass of wine please and don't forget the chips! |
 |
| Yikes... |
 |
This decanter case locks. You don't want the footmen
getting into the good scotch do you?! |
 |
| It has a little scoop! |
 |
| OMG OMG OMG antique whitework! |
 |
| And lace! |
 |
| It looks brand new! I want to buy some! |
 |
| Ooo 18th century metal lace! |
 |
Day's over. The stalls are closing.
Let's grab a cab and head back. |
Thanks for the day trip! As Snow White breathlessly says, "That was fun!"
ReplyDeleteI know some of those places, and I've had that ploughman sandwich at that corner cafe. I'm headed that way end of August. I wish I could sneak you in as my tour guide! ha ha
Let's go together next time!
DeleteOoo! I'm so envious of your fun shopping! I hope you share some of your purchases with us!
ReplyDeleteBest, Quinn
I will be! And things I wasn't lucky enough to buy... like those etui cases. Thousands of pounds! I wish. But I did walk away with pictures :D
DeleteI am about to use a word a never use....Jealous...so jealous!! I am so thrilled for you and your fabulous trip, just wish I could have joined you. Thanks so much for taking the time to photo journal all of this. I wait with baited breath to see more details of your fab finds. I am now putting making shortbread on my list for today so I can have a bit of an English vacation myself:)
ReplyDeleteYour a dear for sharing!
Oo shortbread I love it! You must make some tea to go with. And don't forget the clotted cream!
ReplyDelete