![]() |
| Robe a la Francaise, c.1765 Kyoto Costume Institute AC5317 86-8-5AE |
So yesterday I said how I hate gathering and gathering and gathering to make a ruffle for trim. Well, this was not only because it takes forever, but because I could never figure out why mine were too bunchy and looked like rubbish, no matter how short or long I made the stitches.
Discouraging. Ugh.
But no more! While searching for something (don't remember what) I came across the answer! Whipped gathers!! Thank you Demode Couture!
I came across a post of hers that referred to this exact problem. I am absolutely dancing with delight! Click here to be directed to her page. She also links to a great video about how to do said whipped gathers.
Apparently this style of stitch is what gives 18th century trim its even, yet spaced and neat ruffling. I always thought whipped gathers were only for ruffles on shirts and cuffs etc. Learn something new everyday. Yay!

Great find and timing, since I'm planning to do some ruffles for trim next. Yay indeed!
ReplyDeleteI'm very excited to try this out soon too!
Delete