Yesterday evening we had some friends over for the new season of Mad Men. A few hours before, we decided we were going to dress up for it. Pretty last minute, but luckily I have a good collection of vintage dresses.
I chose a 1950's one-shoulder, cotton dress with a charming shoulder bow. Underneath, I layered some What Katie Did faux-vintage undies and a petticoat. I would have liked a fluffier petti or a couple layered, but as I said, this was last minute. The merry widow from What Katie Did was perfect. I highly recommend it. It has an excellent silhouette and the straps come off. The shoes are cut out "leather" from Forever 21. They reminded me of jelly shoes.
![]() |
| Glamour Merry Widow by What Katie Did |
The biggest challenge was my hair. I have a lot of it and it's quite long - past my waist. Not super in style for the era. I did a little experimenting and started wrapping my hair around my fingers, rolling it under and pinning it to the base of my head. After a good handful of pins I had a pretty convincing pageboy.
And of course, I painted my nails red :)
![]() |
| Good view of the hair. |
![]() |
| And from a slightly different angle... |
![]() |
| Puppies! |
For the menu we did very American picnic food - fried chicken and potato salad, deviled eggs, chips and sour cream dip and apple pie. And lots of yummy drinks: bottled coke, martinis, gimlets, gibsons and old fashioneds. We found the cutest plates from Sur la Table. Blue plaid and very picnic.
And no self-respecting housewife would be without a perfect apron! I found one at the same store that matched my dress perfectly. Yay!
![]() |
| Sur la Table Blue-Plaid collection |
![]() |
| Sur la Table Polka-Dot Rooster napkin holder |








You look adorable! Sounds like a fun time.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to give Mad Men another go. I watched the first season but found it uncomfortable viewing from a woman's (me!) perspective.
The first season is kind of eh. My husband and I got hooked with the set design and clothing etc. Then we got sucked into the story. The ladies do kind of get the short end of the stick, though...
Delete