Monday, June 4, 2012

Ok folks, I need help. Does anyone know where this is from?


I came across this outfit somewhere in cyberspace and I know absolutely nothing about it. I've done a little vague searching but I couldn't find anything. Has anyone seen it before? I thought it was such an interesting and pretty piece, it would be fun to share.

To me, it looks continental European, not really like what I have seen from England or America. I could be completely wrong, but that's just my impression. I think it looks early too. Any ideas?

8 comments:

  1. I think you're right about continental European. I'm no expert but to me it looks Italian for some reason. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really has a bit of a theatrical look to it. It's almost impossible to say without seeing the construction details but I'd be interested in exactly how it was made- that might help in narrowing down the years. It definitely isn't typical of England/France during the 18th century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's something I can see in a painting... It looks maybe German or Flemmish or somewhere over there. It looks very fairy tale to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the ladies. Continental - Eastern European and/or a theatrical piece - Italian comedia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've come across this myself so I can't help you find the original site, sorry, but it does look Italian to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the link can be found in Karen Larsdatter's 18c linkpages... ah, yes, here it is: http://www.kikirpa.be/www2/cgi-bin/wwwopac.exe?DATABASE=object&LANGUAGE=0&OPAC_URL=&%250=96638

    ~Lylassandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!

      So the dress is from Leuven, the Flemmish region in Belgium.

      Delete
  7. Good investigative work there, Sherlock!

    ReplyDelete