Thursday, June 21, 2012

The guts are the best part.


So these are the beginnings of a new pair of stays. Blue worsted wool, lined with linen and completely hand sewn with linen thread (60/2). The bones are 1/4 inch cane.


I used JP Ryan's half boned stays pattern. I always like the JP Ryan patterns. I had to alter this pattern a little to make it smaller and even with the changes it still went together beautifully and quickly.

For comparison, below is a picture of the inside of an extant pair of stays from the 18th century.

[18th Century Stays]


Next will come cutting the tabs open, binding the edges and seams in leather and then lining the inside with a final layer of linen. The eyelet holes will be done up too.

I'm very excited for the result. This will be my first pair of stays that are made in an authentic way with all period correct materials. I have so fallen in love with hand sewing.

2 comments:

  1. This is exciting stuff! And, I see your beautiful sewing kit in the background! Putting it all to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exciting stuff! And, I see your beautiful sewing kit in the background! Putting it all to good use!

    ReplyDelete