I found this Georgian beauty last year and loved it, despite it's toothless grin. I thought there had to be some way to fix it.
Well, this afternoon, I finally took it to the jeweler, and they said no go. The comb is an alloy, probably pinchbeck or ormolu, and they didn't have the ability to repair such a material. Ah well. But not to be defeated, I ran straight up the street to the craft store.
They did clean it for me, though, which really shined it up. It was kind of crusty before.
The seller had kindly included a spare coral bead, which was faceted like the rest of the beads on the comb, but just a bit bigger. But two were missing, so I picked up some similar beads and some thin jewelry wire.
Pretty darn close, all things considered.
And the wire is just wrapped around the comb, so I didn't resort to glue or anything permanent that could damage the comb.
So yay! Now she has a new life. I think I will wear her to the Jane Austen Evening at the end of the month. Just think, two hundred years later, this lovely diadem gets to attend another ball. And hopefully many more after that!