Friday, August 22, 2014

HSF #15: The Great Outdoors

For this challenge I knocked an 18th century habit shirt off my to-do list. Yay!


The Challenge: #15, The Great Outdoors

Fabric: Handkerchief weight linen

Pattern: Kannik's Korner men's shirt 1750-1800, modified for a ladies' shirt, using information from Cunnington's "History of Underclothes."

Year: Later 18th century

Notions: 60/2 linen thread, 16/2 linen thread for buttons, cotton tape for waistband.

How historically accurate is it? As close as possible.

Hours to complete: Took about four days, sewing in the afternoons and evenings.

First worn: Not yet!

Total cost: The linen cost $22/yd, but I'm not sure how much I ended up using. Maybe a yard or so.
...


The shirt was very simple, if time consuming, to make. Tiny stitches! The instructions on the Kannick's Korner pattern were very helpful. I also referenced the man's shirt in "Costume Close Up." I will probably add ruffles to the shirt when I decide on what particular habit to make. 

Shirt construction is so interesting! With all the little reinforcements and gussets. Very fun to put together.



I chose thread buttons for the collar so they would be soft under the cravat. Next up, a cravat, I guess.



I thread a tape through a channel on the back hem, putting eyelets in the ends of the channel.


I love a good button hole :)


I'm really jazzed about my sleeve links! I copied Georgian examples with bits from the jewelry section and some "paste" buttons. There's currently some on eBay that inspired me. I don't know, for sure, if ladies wore sleeve links with habit shirts, but I know they wore them on shift's sleeves and I know habit shirts were basically like men's shirts, so I figured why not!



The sleeve links were so easy to make. I'll be keeping an eye out for good buttons from now on. Oh the possibilities! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I'm planning a riding habit, and have a men's Shirt That Fits No One that I plan to remodel as a habit shirt. Reading this was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Best of luck redoing the shirt.

      Caroline

      Delete