Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Fabric Haul


There's something about period prints that I love. Any period. Solids are always appropriate, but somehow the hunt for the right kind of print is so much more fun. Probably because it is such a hunt.

One reason it's such a hunt is that cotton prints are so darn expensive. Sure, eight, ten, twelve dollars a yard isn't so bad when your getting a fat quarter for quilting, but multiply by ten for an 1860's dress and it's a bit of an investment.

So, yesterday morning I was thinking how I couldn't find anything good, and on sale. My husband and I were heading to Boulder City to get lunch and walk the antique shops, and I thought I'd stop in to one of my favorite fabric stores there and see what they had. They always carry a good selection of repro quilting designs.


Well, boo! We get there and there's a big sign in the window that said, "Shop Closing Sale." About 7/8ths of me was really quite sad, because there are barely any good fabric shops around here, but I must say, the last little bit of me was thrilled because everything was 45% off. Smile.

So I picked a bunch of bolts thats had pretty fabric. I even got about 6 yards of this 1830's repro fabric I have had my eye on for a while, but had no use for. Maybe I will have to make something out of it soon!

From the Mill Book 1835 Collection by Marcus.

I got some good civil war era prints and even some regency era, but only about enough to make maybe a short-gown, like this. The short gown fabric is on the right. The left is just a pretty sprigged. And the middle is just pretty!


Ooo...

One fabric, which I really liked, barely had enough on the bolt for a dress, so I picked up a second length of it, which was slightly a different dye lot. If I have to use it, I'll just have to hide it under the arms or something... Reminds me of this dress.



And lastly, a turn of the 20th century print, which will probably become a little Edwardian dress.


I am really very sad they are closing, though. I went to another shop next to my house last week, and they had cut the shop space in half. I feel bad not supporting local shops for fabric more, at least for cottons, which is usually all one can find, but it is hard, when they don't have the correct thing and there is rarely ever enough on the bolt. The internets just so much easier!

9 comments:

  1. Mmm I love that 1835 one especially! I look forward to seeing what you make out of these!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a pretty one!? Something very poofy and romantic will have to be made, of course :)

      Delete
  2. Love the 1835 print and the blue one too!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two are my favorites! I wish I had found more of the blue. I believe it's a Sturbridge.

      Delete
  3. I am a fabricaholic--so I have to try and stay away from fabric stores. But, then there is the internets! I love cotton shirts, quick to make and comfy to wear, and rayon is great in hot weather. Not having a fabric store closer than a two hour drive helps curb impulse buying, but I have to watch the internet browsing too. It's fun to look, but oh, when you can touch a fabric and it just calls to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes. I online fabric shop when I'm not otherwise occupied. It's like a horrible addiction haha. I try to be good, though!

      Delete
  4. I have a lavender colorway of the Marcus Mill Book fabric! It's intended for my eventual-maybe-someday 1830's dress. I really like your other picks too, particularly the blue and the sprigged.

    It always tears a little piece of my heart to see a fabric store close. But, it's a struggle to support them sometimes. We have two shops in town that are branches of large national chains, and neither of them carry much of anything that I can use for historic sewing. The best sewing shop within a day's drive is an independently-owned textile paradise, but they have no website, no record of inventory, and very little in the way of organization. With a heavy heart, I shop online for 90% of what I buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if I quilted or sewed more modern things, it would be so much easier to support the local shops! Even online it's hard to find certain fabrics.

      The lavender colorway was so pretty, too. Maybe one day we will have matching 1830's dresses ;)

      Delete