Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wool!


I love sewing with wool. I think it is a great fibre to work with. It's warm in the winter, cool in the summer. It gets a little stinky when wet, but hey, don't get wet and you're fine. I'm a fan. I love to buy it, though, not everyday does one get to see where it comes from.

Today was not everyday.


Meet Ba Ba Black Sheep. Little did he know clippers were coming his way.

I went for a ride this morning and when I came back to the barn... Surprise! Let's shear a sheep!

It was definitely an interesting thing to watch. And it gives me a new perspective on why wool is so expensive. Granted, Ba Ba is just a lamb, but think of how many sheep are shorn to make enough yardage for a dress.

Apparently, they get shorn twice a year. Just a fun fact.

I really wanted to get my hands on some and make a little something, but the fleece was already spoken for. Someday I'd like to try my hand at a spinning wheel.

So next time you are sewing with wool, say thank you to the little Lambchops that it came from.

By the way, no lambies were harmed and all that. He just got a little hair cut. We didn't make dinner or anything...

3 comments:

  1. They don't all get shorn twice a year - it must depend on the breed. The Border Leicesters, Shetlands, and Scottish Blackface that my wife works with are only shorn once a year. Some breeds - in particular those native to more wild places - aren't shorn at all, but shed naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. They must have meant just this kind of sheep or maybe what sheep they are used to. This was a one off kind of experience for me.

      Delete
  2. That was fun! Hey, I'm hoping to bring you some wool tartan fabric from my upcoming Scotland trip! Ba Ba McBlacksheep!

    ReplyDelete