Sunday, April 28, 2013

Gibson (Cow)girl


Howdy!

With all the horseback riding I have been doing lately, I've been quite inspired with the old west. I was browsing good ol' Pinterest recently and came across a bunch of great old cowgirl photos. I totally fell in love with the late Victorian/early Edwardian ones. Think Annie Oakley. Very stylized cowgirl. Very cool. 

Annie Oakley

There was a Southern Nevada Living History Association event at the Old Mormon Fort yesterday and I took the opportunity to finish up my riding bloomers (skort, pretty much...) and get down there to take some good photos. What an appropriate backdrop! I owe photo credits to the talented Lisa Coffey.



This was a really fun and easy outfit to put together. I went for like 1905ish. The pants are a Truly Victorian pattern, that (for once) I didn't change the design of. It went together beautifully, though I did deviate from the instructions and I fully lined it (flatlined) and faced the hem, much like you would a skirt of the era. My only issue, which was not bothersome enough to change, was that the crotch seam ran a little snug. It's not tight, but for a pant so loose around the legs, I assumed it would be a little roomier in the seat.

The button holes are all fully functioning and hand sewn. It is made of twill wool left over from my brown 1880's dress. It is lined with cotton. I chose the "bicycle length" as opposed to the "riding length." I wanted to show a little leg. Wink wink ;)


The rest of the outfit was all acquired previously, but not made by me. The blouse and corset cover (scroll down) are antique and of the era. The boots are Oak Tree (super comfy!) and the spurs are my actual riding spurs. I found the gloves at a western store. The hat is a felt blank from Jas Townsend. I accessorized with a little enamel antique pin, at the neck, and my pocket watch and chain. A gal's gotta know what time it is on the prairie!

Legs!!

Spring! Fig trees blossoming. So pretty:)

Below you can see a pic of the corset cover. It's a little rumply, as this pic was from when I got undressed. You can see how the cut of the corset cover creates a pouf to support the pouter pigeon shape of the blouse. The cotton is a little stiff, which helps hold the shape as well. I read once, that girls would stuff hankies down the front to support the shape even more. Kind of like stuffing your bra... except it's stuffing your stomach... Hmm...


And because it's always fun to have a black and white one...


Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Cheers!

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    And showing a little leg? Are you TRYING to keep the cowboys from doing their job properly? Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perfection!!!! I love this look as well, but have never been able to really pull it off. You look absolutely splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It's a fun look. Kind of unexpected, while still actually being historical. I was in Virginia City last week. Too bad I did't have it done then to take some pics up there. That would have been pretty cool.

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! The trousers rock my socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with this! Absolutely fabulous job. I've never noticed that pattern on the TV page, and now I have to have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo you must get it. It's such a fun look! And thank you, too!

      Delete
  5. That is adorable! I love the skirt. I've made myself a split-skirt from the Folkwear pattern and love it. I wear it to school sometimes. It's feminine, yet practical. Yours is the perfect color for hiding any dirt that may happen to get on it after a long day on the trail. :)

    -Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So true about the dirt. And how fun to wear these out and about. I dont know if mine would fit, though, without the corset :\ Hmm... Might be a little snug in the waist.

      Delete
  6. You look absolutely beautiful in this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great outfit! You wear it so well and it looks like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a blast to wear. Very unexpected.

      Delete
  8. Have you actually tried to ride in them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet! I so wanted to go take pictures riding in the pants, but I was a little nervous about riding in a corset. Next up, maybe a riding corset... Hmm...

      Delete
  9. Wow! Great job - that really looks like you stepped out of a period photograph!

    Your blog is inspiring - would you mind if I linked to it on mine? Http://keowyndrials-closet.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And absolutely, I love to have a new blog to browse!

      Caroline

      Delete
  10. Hey! Thanks for the coffee this morning, and btw, it was wonderful to see your Cow/Gibson girl outfit! Not just a photo, but the real deal. It was charming, and the inside was as fun as the outside. Loved the lining, and hem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought bandana was appropriate :)

      Delete
  11. The costume looks amazing! I showed it to a friend of mine who rides horses and she was very jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete