Monday, May 7, 2012

Why my gathers always look like garbage. No more!

Robe a la Francaise, c.1765
Kyoto Costume Institute 
AC5317 86-8-5AE

So yesterday I said how I hate gathering and gathering and gathering to make a ruffle for trim. Well, this was not only because it takes forever, but because I could never figure out why mine were too bunchy and looked like rubbish, no matter how short or long I made the stitches.

Discouraging. Ugh.

But no more! While searching for something (don't remember what) I came across the answer!  Whipped gathers!! Thank you Demode Couture!

I came across a post of hers that referred to this exact problem. I am absolutely dancing with delight! Click here to be directed to her page. She also links to a great video about how to do said whipped gathers.

Apparently this style of stitch is what gives 18th century trim its even, yet spaced and neat ruffling. I always thought whipped gathers were only for ruffles on shirts and cuffs etc. Learn something new everyday. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Great find and timing, since I'm planning to do some ruffles for trim next. Yay indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited to try this out soon too!

      Delete