Friday, May 18, 2012

Pretty Mitts


Here we have some pretty mitts circa 1790-1800, from an estate in the Saugerties, NY.  The images are courtesy Karen Augusta. The mitts are constructed of unbleached cotton muslin, decorated with tan embroidery floss, metallic thread and brass spangles. They gather at the elbow with silk ribbons.

I think they are especially interesting as they are finished with a feather stitch, instead of the usual herringbone, and they are cut straight across, without the point over the knuckles that we so often see. The embroidery is charming to boot. They are unlined and would be great for summer!

They measure: Mitt L, 16"; Hand C, 7.5"; Upper Arm C, 10.5". Haha yay they would fit me just perfect!





4 comments:

  1. Oooo! I like these. I have an UFO (unfinished object) that is a pair of mitts with embroidery. This is a nice post to get me to get going on the project this summer! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UFO! I love that!! Good luck on the mitts :)

      Delete
  2. These are particularly pretty! /inspired

    ReplyDelete