Monday, August 22, 2011

The fabric came!

Bam! That was fast!

The fabric I ordered for the little brown pierrot came yesterday. And today, after some progress on the chintz anglaise, I thought I would just start cutting out the pieces. Well one thing lead to another and next thing I knew I had half a jacket on my dress form.

I used a mix of pattern pieces, mostly from J.P. Ryan's Robe a l'Anglaise pattern. In the past I lengthened each piece by about 1/2 inch, but other than that, it fits my torso perfectly. So unless I have to drape, I make it easy on myself and use this. I have yet to create a pattern for the peplum. I like to have a paper pattern available for future use if somethings turns out great. I have this great pattern paper I bought from Joanne's ages ago. It feels like fabric and doesn't crinkle, so you can pin the edges and try it on almost like a mock up. I used this for the sleeves. I made a basic long sleeve and then tweaked and tweaked until it resembled a proper, curved elbow, georgian sleeve. The trick here was to get it very slim, like the sleeve on the original jacket.

So, on to the fabric.

I ended up ordering the brown and beige fabric form Nauvoo, and I'm glad I did because in person it looks great, and very much like the original jacket. I wish the background wasn't quite so dark, but other than that, I think it's pretty good. The other fabric is a white linen I am using for the lining.

And my puppy making sure I bought the right color. Feels nice, she says.

The assembly of the bodice is pretty straight forward, and it went so fast, I didn't take any pictures. Next will come the setting of the sleeves, the lining and the devising of the ruffly little peplum. I'm still trying to figure out the front closure, too. I'm debating between buttons or just pins. The jacket is so plain, little buttons might add a lot of charm. As for the shape of the bottom, I think I'm going to go with a squared off point, like the middle sketch in the picture above. And definitely boned. The squared off point has advantages to a pointy v-point because you can adjust the tightness of the bodice and the front will still look correct, unlike a v-point that has to stay at one size or you will end up with an overlapping "W."

Till then.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Such detail! And your assistant is pretty cute, too!