Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Kensington Palace, part 2: Is that Christmas tinsel?!


In another room at Kensington Palace, two beautiful 18th century dresses were on display. Today I'm sharing the first one -- my favorite.

I LOVE this dress. Oh my gosh. 

It is made up of such interesting fabric. So often we see heavy silk brocades, embellished with goldwork, but this light, airy dress is not only the sole robe a la francaise I have ever seen made up of sheer, musliny cotton, but also sheer cotton that has been heavily embroidered in metal. The silver and gold "thread" is flat, thin strips, which are very, very much like christmas tinsel to look at.

The cotton is so sheer, you can see through the layers to the embroidery beneath. Very evident in the top photo.

The only other dress I can compare it to is this robe a l'angliase from the Met.















5 comments:

  1. Glorious! I'm glad I'm not married just yet because this is so going to be my wedding dress. Only I'll probably go insane from all the embroidery and then after the wedding my groom will have to lock me away, like Mr. Rochester and Bertha. It'd be worth it for that dress though. Thanks for sharing this work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Isn't it gorgeous!?!?! I think this is one of my favorite dresses yet :)

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. GOD. Can you imagine how divine this would feel on? I want this. Too bad I need to magically manifest like, 3 superpowers and 10 sewing skills I do not possess in order to pull it off. So beautiful. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this work is called "Badla" . Originated in India , tiny knots were used on sheers to resemble the starry skier. Simply the most romantic form of embroidery:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting! I love to learn something new!

      Delete