Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Let's go shopping in London!

I'm back in the states after two great weeks of vacation. Ah, England, I love it there. I could have stayed forever. Bought a country estate, some horses, a butler... Dreaming.

But since we couldn't buy a house and title, we just bought lots and lots of goodies to bring home :)

I did tons of antique shopping. Things I search and search for online and in the states are a dime a dozen across the pond. My favorite place to shop is Portobello Market. I can't tell you how long I've been looking for a nice silver toast rack - well, I was absolutely tripping over them there. Kicking them out of my way, there were so many!

I saw some of the most beautiful 18th century antiques, as well. I had the privilege of opening up a couple exquisite etui cases and pulling out all the bits. There were fashion plates everywhere and thimbles and sewing cases and gorgeous lace! Be still my beating heart.

I have so much to share. I think I'll start with a little Saturday trip to Portobello Road.

Yawn! Good morning.
Look out the window.

Grab your umbrella and lock the door.

Mmm breakfast. Tea please!

Catch a cab and lets go.

Let's start walking. It's early and it's already crowded!




Look at the gold work on this lovely
18th century bag!

A 1770's tortoiseshell etui.  You can see the
1760's chonoiserie etui just behind.
More on these and the bag later!





Lunchtime! 

Let's share a ploughman's.
Glass of wine please and don't forget the chips!




Yikes...




This decanter case locks. You don't want the footmen
getting into the good scotch do you?!

It has a little scoop!


OMG OMG OMG antique whitework!

And lace!



It looks brand new! I want to buy some!



Ooo 18th century metal lace!




Day's over. The stalls are closing.
Let's grab a cab and head back.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the day trip! As Snow White breathlessly says, "That was fun!"
    I know some of those places, and I've had that ploughman sandwich at that corner cafe. I'm headed that way end of August. I wish I could sneak you in as my tour guide! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! I'm so envious of your fun shopping! I hope you share some of your purchases with us!

    Best, Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be! And things I wasn't lucky enough to buy... like those etui cases. Thousands of pounds! I wish. But I did walk away with pictures :D

      Delete
  3. I am about to use a word a never use....Jealous...so jealous!! I am so thrilled for you and your fabulous trip, just wish I could have joined you. Thanks so much for taking the time to photo journal all of this. I wait with baited breath to see more details of your fab finds. I am now putting making shortbread on my list for today so I can have a bit of an English vacation myself:)

    Your a dear for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo shortbread I love it! You must make some tea to go with. And don't forget the clotted cream!

    ReplyDelete