Headless got a makeover!
I've had the same dress form for about ten years. She was really getting sad and broken, so I finally ordered a new one. While waiting for it, I had the brilliant idea to experiment and take the duct tape mannequin concept to new lengths.
Draping 18th century garments on yourself is hard. Really hard. Draping on a dress form only goes so far. Patterns are great, but it's still not really the experience of draping.
So, I put on my stays and enlisted my very jet lagged mom (thanks, mom!) to wrap me up in duct tape.
|New fur baby alert! We got kittens!|
So here it is initially. Just draped over Headless like a backwards jacket.
I decided it would be so awesome to be able to drape sleeves! Sleeves of all kinds! So I sacrificed some very cool tube socks and wrapped my arms up, too.
Then, to make it firm and useable, I traced my stays out of cardboard, taped them to the inside, and stuffed polyfill to fill out the curvies and arms.
So I've started a new gown on her. I draped the lining (referencing Fitting and Proper, Costume Close Up, and Larkin & Smith's English Gown Pattern), then tried it on myself. She runs a little big, because of the extra layers (and I fit the duct tape after a big lunch!), but I think this is good. I'm trying really hard not to make things skin tight. I have a bad habit of fitting pieces in the morning and then if I have to dress after eating, it's like eeeeeek please fit!
By the way, this goes so much faster than cutting out pattern pieces, fitting a muslin, etc etc. I am having fun with this!
P.s. The chintz redo is finished! Will post soon!