Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Polonaise and Some New Accessories


On Friday I had the good fortune of finding out my local group was doing a timeline event this weekend. Super short notice, but as I have been out of town for everything since last October, I was thrilled to have an excuse to get dressed up. And the timeline events are especially fun because you can represent any era you wish to talk about. Those are WWII tents behind me!

I haven't sewn anything new in months, but I did have quite a few things that have never been worn out, so I thought this was the perfect excuse. I wore my new polonaise jacket/petticoat outfit, my Christmas-present-to-myself Sarah Juniper shoes, a black silk bonnet made from the Larkin & Smith pattern, and I also brought out my linen/chintz mitts to protect from the sun. It was hot!


I mostly finished this Polonaise last year. I still want to trim it. That'll happen someday! It's very lightweight cotton with a woven stripe. The bodice is cut so the lining and front section are fitted to the body, but the fashion fabric layer comes away from the body, in the polonaise style, where the back seams let out into pleats.  


I also accessorized with a voile apron, a breast knot, my trusty sun-battling umbrella and a kerchief and cap I bought on my last trip to Virginia.


I always think the pile left from undressing is so pretty! 


And the shoes!! I have wanted to order a pair of Sarah Juniper shoes for years. I always thought it would be so complex and tedious, since Ms. Juniper is in England, but actually it was very easy. I just traced my feet, filled out her paperwork and sent the paper and fabric to her.

In no time at all, they came in the mail and they are beautiful! These are dark green glazed wool. Super comfy! And they look great with my American Duchess buckles.



11 comments:

  1. Love it! Love your polonaise and your shoes and your bonnet. You look amazing, and I bet you were cool, calm, and collected in the heat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, I was all covered up. The sun didn't have a chance!

      Delete
  2. Oh the hat. I WILL make a bonnet like that one of these days! I love the whole outfit, and I cannot fathom attempting all these layers in the desert!

    I've been enjoying your blog a lot, so I've nominated you for a blog award :) http://adventuresinbiastape.blogspot.ca/2015/06/sisterhood-of-world-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you so much! I'm so flattered!

      Delete
  3. You look perfect, and your shoes are perfect, and even your molded-to-your-shape stays are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's amazing how bendy the reed in the stays really is.

      Delete
  4. Looking beautiful and love your bonnet! I was thinking of trying to make one. Was it difficult?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually the bonnet was very easy. It came as a kit from Larkin & Smith. Pieces cut already, thread and instructions in the box. Very easy.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete