Friday, December 26, 2014

The belated Christmas dress (that I may or may not hate).


After the quick and easy success of my wool trousers, I thought a dress would be a breeze. I was going to see The Nutcracker Saturday evening, so on a whim Saturday morning, I started in on a 1930's frock, somehow thinking I could finish it in a day. Crazy, I know. 



Well, I actually got pretty far. I gave up a half hour before I had to get dressed to leave. I was one hem and closure short of a wearable dress.

The closure, though. Ick.

I'm not sure what to do, now that I have no deadline to finish (maybe New Years?...). In my speed race, I was thinking of slicing the back open to the hem (currently it ends in a slash that goes into the CB skirt piece) and putting in an easy zipper. The pattern, however, calls for a continuous lap placket, closing with worked button holes and buttons. 

But in all honesty, I don't know if I'm going to like this dress enough to commit my time to all those button holes/loops. I'm not sure what to do now. I could do tube button loops. Not that that is much easier. Not to mention, hard to get in and out of! Or do I close up the back with a seam the length of the dress, and put a sneaky zipper or hooks in the side seam? Help. Opinions, please!!


Well, it's on it's way, I guess. I don't know if I like it, though. It's kind of a weird fabric, which is not terribly flattering on the body. It even makes my mannequin look fat! I might change the sleeves, which may help, since, in general, the dress kind of swallows me up. Maybe the festive little flouncy sleeve on the pattern envelope... Something needs help.

And it looks so chic in the illustration. Haha, I thought this had a chance of being a one day project! Bah!

7 comments:

  1. If you don't know if your going to like the dress I say just go with a zipper in the back, that's the easiest option and is perfectly acceptable if you do end up wearing the dress. With such a bold plaid, it is a little overwhelming with the high neckline and long sleeves, so I do think it would look better with short sleeves, the flounce ones or even shorten the ones you already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be contrary, but a side zip is SO period! and not too hard to do. If I were you, I'd be sure to put in a little drapery weight inside the neckline, to be sure the fabric that's inside gets pulled DOWN to make a less overwhelmingly full boat neck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, it got away from me! Also, if you have some dark velvet ribbon, in black or dark blue, why not tack it around the high waistline and then knot it at the center front to let the ribbons hang down, which will accentuate the Long line of the skirt.
    Best of luck, I'll bet its cute!
    Nancy N

    ReplyDelete
  4. in the 30s dress pattern I made, it had a placket, but used snap fasteners instead of worked buttonholes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would do a side zip too. At least you won't need help dressing with one. Beautiful cut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh. Thank you, thank you, thank you all so much for the suggestions! And, AuntieNan, the weight in the neckline is an excellent idea, because it kind of attacks my chin as it is now haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, yes, I remember my Mom, who was a terrific tailor, with a dress from the 1940s whose neckline had a kind of "napkin" thingy that hung down in the front. She was so particular, generally, I asked her what it was, and she said, oh, that's where you sew this little drapery weight and flip it inside. And she did, and the bias curve of the neckline was suddenly visible. So cute. I've wanted to do it ever since, and now I get to see it on you!
    N

    ReplyDelete