Thursday, December 25, 2014

HSF #23: Modern History. A pair of 1930's trousers.


The Challenge: #23, Modern History

Fabric: Lightweight wool suiting in a green Glen plaid

Pattern: Wearing History's Smooth Sailing Trousers

Year: 1930's

Notions: Thread, buttons

How historically accurate is it? Good, I guess.

Hours to complete: The prep took an afternoon, and the sewing another afternoon. Very quick.

First worn: Last weekend, for a Christmas party

Total cost: I think I got the wool on sale for about $7/yd. And it took about 3 yards, I think.

---

Well first off, Merry Christmas to all! I hope everyone has been having a lovely holiday season.

Over here it's been pretty busy, but I still found a couple afternoons to whip up a new pair of 1930's trousers. I so love the Wearing History pattern! It goes together so nicely and quickly and just makes a really good looking pair of pants.

For this pair, I used some lightweight plaid wool. I deviated from the pattern by adding a lapped, side closure with buttons instead of a zip. Next pair, I want to add some pockets!  



And they're comfy enough for playing with the pups, too!




8 comments:

  1. Those are lovely! The fit is perfect! This is now a new pattern on my most wanted list. And I love the buttons instead of the zipper. Very nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would put these on the to do list. They're great. And, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Those are wonderful! And much nicer than anything you can find in the store :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, not being able to find neat trousers like this to buy was a main motivation for sewing them.

      Delete
  3. The button placket is so much more historically accurate than the zip, right? What a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the buttons vs zip for authenticity. I did a zip on a pair of sporty, linen pants, but for wool trousers, I thought buttons would be a little dressier. And thanks about the fit :)

      Delete
  4. Yay, 1930's pants ROCK! I definitely need a pair of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! They look great! Definitely something I would wear if I had a pair.

    ReplyDelete