Monday, April 21, 2014

I've been doing a lot of antiquing lately...


Ok. I'm officially a weirdo. I have unplugged the house phone and replaced it with this puppy. Bye bye, caller ID!

In all fairness, we never really use our house phone, so we really aren't sacrificing too much.


But I am so stoked! I found it recently and couldn't resist purchasing. It is an antique phone that has been rewired and cleaned up and now plugs into a regular phone jack. It sounds great and is so very fun to use!

It's also inspired me to get some vintage clothes going. Right now I have a 1930's blouse on the cutting table. I'm a little nervous, as I haven't ventured past about 1910. This will be my first historical sewing project, sans corset. Here goes nothing! 


I must say, I LOVE finding antiques that can actually be used. It's such a fun experience! Next on the list, a typewriter!

In the mean time, back to stitching. I hope everyone had a lovely Easter. Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. My sole home phone is a 1940's rotary dial bakelite monstrosity that came from my great-uncle's home over ten years ago. It had been hard-wired into his house by the telephone company (Southern Bell) when he and his wife moved into the house just after WWII ended. The cord literally went directly into the wall. No outlet, no receptacle. I had it modified for a modern jack, but I wish I'd had the old twisty cord that connects the headset to the base replaced as well. It's disintegrating, and I doubt that it will last much longer.

    Yours is so elegant! I love the raised mouthpiece and the little receiver rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think its a darling little phone. So far, though, Ive only gotten calls from telemarketers... wah wah. But it has a much more pleasant ring, so I almost don't mind them calling!

      The person that rewired this phone used deadstock wiring. Maybe keep an eye out on ebay, so just in case the wiring ever does go, you've got a back up.

      Delete
  2. I love using antiques. They were made to be used, except of course purely decorative items, and I love the connection to the past you get, imagining who else might have used it during its history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Oh and I love mirrors, too. I always imagine the people who looked into them and the outfits they were wearing, of course :)

      Delete
  3. Fun! Your new blouse sounds exciting, too! I look forward to seeing progress.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the blouse... I'm really dragging my feet on that one :( It's amazing to me that I can whip up layers and layers for a gown, but getting through facing on a little blouse front is killing me :/

      Delete