Monday, September 2, 2013

My jacket, a new cap, a new pair of stays and a ball on the horizon.


Since it was a holiday today, I didn't have anything legit to do, so I had no excuse not to take the time to get dressed and take some photos of my new little jacket. I accessorized with, among other things, a linen cap I made in Janea Whitacre's thimble class at Costume College. It was pretty cool. She sketched me out a pattern for the cap in like two seconds, holding newsprint up to my head a little this way and that.  




In other news, I just finished a new pair of stays. The fastest I have ever made them. I started out all careful, hand stitching, with big plans. I was going to do them up properly for the HSF: Wood, Metal, Something challenge. Then I heard about the Road to Regency symposium and ball (eeek! yay!) at Gadsby's Tavern at the end of September. My husband and I love Alexandria so there's no excuse not to go. So I gave in and zipped the rest of the boning channels through the sewing machine. Everything else I hand sewed. You kind of have to. There's really no way to do anything but the channels on the machine. I figure when I'm not on a deadline I can do some fully boned stays up properly (and with an extra half inch of length... but that's a whole other issue).


I wore them all day today, fitting linings and petticoats and such (for the ball yay!). They are very comfortable, but ideally I would like to do the next pair with a little more length... for ahem, spillage issues. But that's kind of what I get for speeding through and not taking care in fitting. P.s. the pattern is J.P Ryan, which went together nicely.



Another way I saved time on the stays was to bind them with half inch linen tape instead of leather. The seams are also covered with quarter inch linen tape instead of leather. Fabric wise, the stays are made of yellow linen over two layers of white linen and a white linen lining. I used 16/2 linen for the eyelets. The boning is quarter inch reed.



Next up will be a new gown for the ball. I've always wanted to go to a ball at Gadsby's, since I was like twelve probably. I'm kind of stoked :) Eek!

9 comments:

  1. Love the line of the jacket and skirt in the back! Beautiful job on all of it, and I'm impressed you did the stays in a day. Are you wearing a big bum roll, or little panniers?
    Keep up thegoodwork!
    Auntie N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But yikes no not in a day! They took about 30 hours to complete. If I could do it in a day that would be a miracle! :)

      Delete
    2. And yes, I am wearing a rump with a stiff linen petticoat that poufs very nicely.

      Delete
  2. I love the new jacket and cap, they're so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Thanks for putting on your jacket and taking pictures. I especially love the stays, too. The color is lovely and I'm sure the linen was easier to work with than leather!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) And yes, so much faster than leather. When I did the last pair, I bent so many needles going through the leather. I wasn't looking forward to the battle again so soon.

      Delete
  4. That is neat how the hat is shaped. Great work on everything.

    I've done so little in Alexandria and have never been to Gadsby's even though they are so close. Have fun with all your new stuff!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Alexandria is great. You must make a trip some time. It's a charming little town.

      Delete