Monday, September 23, 2013

A Fancy Quilted Bottom


My fancy new rump started life as a pillowcase. I fell in love with the fabric and knew I would use it for something, someday. It's cotton sateen, quilted, with tambour embroidery. Totally pretty. 



I've been a bit unhappy in the rump department lately. I have quite a few, but so far each one has a drawback. I was looking at Kendra of Demode Couture's excellent study of 18th century skirt supports, and thought I would try number three, which is basically crinoline quilted between layers. The so talented gal at Before the Automobile quilted a beautiful version of this rump, too.

Well, this was the cheater version, since the pillow case was already quilted. I took it apart, folded it in half and stitched the padded part to a strip of plain fabric from the back of the pillow, which was pleated and whipped to a waistband. I bound the front edges with leftover fabric, too.



So far, I like it. It can be worn alone, for a mild bit of pouf, or with a false rump or hips under it, to smooth out the line of the other skirt supports, like a mini quilted petticoat.

And wow, looking at that photo, I could really use a new dress form. Yikes, she is falling apart!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that's brilliant! That would be so much smoother looking under a skirt than the things I've tried so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Haha, your description of your situation as "a bit unhappy in the rump department" made me giggle. I love that this began life as a pillowcase! Very resourceful.

    ReplyDelete