Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I'm kind of in love with bonnets right now.


So, I thought I would share a picture or two I took of George Stubbs' paintings, from the last time I was in London. The paintings hang at the Tate Britain. 

The above picture is a detail of the painting, Reapers, which dates from 1785. I just love love love her bonnet, which has that fabulous, big, 80's thing about it. Very stylish for harvesting hay, wouldn't you say?

The ladies below sport a mix of bonnets and hats. This painting, Haymakers, also dates from 1785.


Also, you can check out this engraving of Reapers, which is basically the top painting again, but with a little different detail.

There are many images of bonnets, in paintings and engravings. The only original one I could find belongs to Colonial Williamsburg. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment