Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day Two at Spring Mountain Ranch and a Green Silk Dress

On flat terrain, the dress hangs about an inch
above the ground.

On Saturday I went back to the ranch for a few more hours spent in the 1860's (I also had another costume party to attend the same day!). So far, my thoughts: I love love love the sewing, I very much love the wearing, but wearing out in the foot high grass, stepping over cow mess, roasting in the sun... Not my favorite thing in the world. I guess I'm more of an indoor girl.

But I totally still had fun, don't get me wrong!

So anyway, the most important part: the outfit. I wore a green silk dress with black velveteen trim. I accessorized with the same jewelry as the day before, though I swapped the brown silk belt for black and switched to another whitework collar. I had planned on a pretty cream silk bonnet, but it was quite hot and sunny, so I stayed with the straw hat. Ah, shade. 

I love the buttons! Antique black ball buttons.

A good pic of the buttons, collar, hair and piping.

Pattern shopping!

In other news, thanks to Sandy I have rethought my Burnley and Trowbridge mantua workshop plans this weekend. As bummed as I am to have to cancel, I'd rather just go another time, than chance hours in airports and delays and ick. Though I must admit, the possibility of sewing with no power did sound intriguing. Haha authentic! Ah well, another day. And best of luck to everyone on the east coast. Stay dry and safe, folks!

Next up for November: bustle era! Stay tuned.

14 comments:

  1. Ooo... I really like the green dress. It's such a wonderfully rich color, while still being fully suited for day wear. Pretty!!!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your green silk dress, it's fabulous! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely gown! I'm sorry I won't get to meet you at the B&T workshop. I'm in NoVA and lost power for a tiny bit of time, had ferocious winds, but all is well. I made my hotel reservation today. These storms are so difficult to plan around because there is no knowing what the result will be. Sounds like Williamsburg still has power. Hopefully another time.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, it's such a bummer I couldn't make it to the workshop. I was more worried about my connecting flights, which went through the north east. I didn't want to get rerouted to the middle of nowhere or have crazy delays.

      I hope the workshop was a blast!

      Delete
  4. Hello. I have just discovered your fabulous blog whilst researching my outfit for a murder mystery party at an English country mansion next month - I'm to be a 1920s French cancan dancer! Your site is wonderful and inspirational. I have no idea how you manage to put your costumes together, it's a complete mystery to me, but they look stunning.

    Yours admiringly,

    Victoria in Oxford, England :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria!

      Wow, thank you so, so much for the words of praise!! The 20's themed murder mystery sounds so fun! I have always wanted to go to one of those.

      Putting together the costumes is way more than just knowing how to sew two pieces of fabric together. The research that goes into it takes 99% of the time devoted, but I totally love it, so it's very worthwhile for me. It means a lot to be bestowed such a compliment!

      Thanks again, Victoria! Have fun at your 20's party!

      Best,
      Caroline

      Delete
    2. Thanks Caroline and thank you also for taking the trouble to reply. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the hairstyle - do you have a tutorial for how you did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, sorry for such a late response to this. So bad of me. No, I don't have a tutorial, but what I did was section my hair into four equal parts. I braided each, and then pulled the braids back into a bun, which I then covered with a big fake braid.

      Delete
  6. How very beautiful! I found you via Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog. Did you make your dress, it's beautiful? What pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete