Saturday, December 24, 2016

2016 In Review

I can't believe the year is already coming to an end! And what a great year it has been.

It's always fun to look back in the year and review the things I have sewn. It's funny, I felt like I sewed quite a bit, especially this summer, but all in all, not too many outfits were made. Though, I did make loads of undergarments and accessories that went into each ensemble. Then, of course, there are some UFO's leftover in my sewing room and finished things that didn't get worn or photographed...

So here we go.

The year started out with some early Edwardian undies: drawers, chemise, a frilly corset cover, and I reworked my S-bend corset. It was so much fun to work with lace, I went a little overboard.





I finally finished up an 18th century shift and stays that had sat on the UFO pile far too long. 


I finished a yellow silk 18th century gown. I really like this gown. I hope to accessorize it better in the future and have an event to wear it to. 


I then made a later Edwardian chemise and corset. 


And a princess slip. I think I spent a small fortune on lace this year. All these undies!



And some new Wearing History trousers. I love this pattern!


I wish I had a better picture of this! I knocked out an 18th century linen bedgown, which I love so much. I wore it as a bath robe this summer quite a bit. I also made a new marseilles cloth petticoat, but didn't get a picture of that at all. 



Then my favorite of the year, and possibly my favorite thing I've made so far: a 1913 evening gown for the Costume College Gala. I also made the tiara and handbag. Most costumes, once they're worn to an event, I'm over. This one, I really hope to be able to wear again someday!



And then there was this simple, eyelet Edwardian dress for Goldfield Days. I trimmed and shaped the hat and recovered an antique parasol for the outfit.


The final costume of the year: my 1911 wool dress for the Highclere Castle Vintage Garden Party. The dress was a good one, but I really loved the hat and lace chemisette. The event was definitely one of the best I've been to! Just dreamy!


Also finished, though without pictures, were a Poiret Robe Minute and Cocoon Coat. And almost finished, a white silk 18th century gown. Hopefully they will make an appearance in 2017!

Merry Christmas all, and a happy, happy new year! Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. So many lovely things! I definitely think the small fortune worth of lace was worth it ;-) It was very nice to get to meet you at Costume College. I look forward to what you'll make in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely lovely to meet you, too! And, ah, good lace makes all the difference! I hope 2017 will be an excellent sewing year!

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha, you can never have too much lace on your historical underwear!!! Do ALL the lace insertion! :) Your 2016 creations are lovely and thoughtfully made. I do hope you get to wear them again!

    Happy new year!
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...Ok, so I am so loving those frothy, frilly, lacy undergarments! Anything that is antique underwear makes my heart so happy! Your 1913 evening gown is quite spectacular as well! All the teens era things you created...those are my favorites! Can't wait to see what 2017 brings from you!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete