Sunday, April 17, 2016

Oops! The corset and chemise I forgot to post about...

Woopsie! I was on such a roll in February, and then I forgot to post about it!


Then I found these photos hiding in my computer last night. Time to share!

I redid my Edwardian corset and I think it's such an improvement on fit. I originally made it in a workshop and it never fit correctly. It smashed my hips, was too big in the chest, and didn't give the correct silhouette at all. Now that I let out the hips, the waist can reduce nicely, and so now the bust fits, too. Yay!

It's not terribly impressive lying on a table, so I'll have to put it on soon and take some proper pictures... But I've been so costuming lazy lately. Which might be why I never posted about it...


I had a lot of fun trimming this corset. I stitched some rows of lace and beading together for the bust and added some yummy silk ribbon. The garters were surprisingly easy. I stretched elastic as I fed it through the machine, stitching lace trim to the sides, to add a bit of fluff. The top of the elastic loops around safety pins to attach them to the body of the corset. The ends are fed around garter pieces, with slides to adjust the length. I also flossed it - love details!



Because I was redoing a corset, and not starting from the bringing, the grommets and busk were already in place. I made the lace work around them by slicing though it, turning it under, and stitching the lace around the grommets and busk. 


And then I made a new chemise! With the move, and a lot of my costumes still being in storage, I couldn't find my edwardian chemise I had made just before the move. But that's ok - I made a newer, better one! 


I really had a lot of fun with all the lace and insertion. Now I just need to motivate myself to get working on the outer layers. I'm feeling a little more inspired, though, since the costume college packet came!


6 comments:

  1. Your work is always so beautiful and inspiring! The lace insertion on that chemise is incredible. I look forward to a comparison of the Edwardian foundation garments when you get unpacked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! I've been so crap about keeping up with my sewing since the move, but it's comments like this that inspire me to keep stitching! Thank you :) And golly, I feel like I'll never be unpacked. One box at a time, right?!

      Delete
  2. wow! those are beautiful! the chemise looks just like an original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Playing with the lace was so the highlight of making these! The original garments are so beautiful, it's such a honor to have my sewing compared with them :)

      Delete
  3. I am just overwhelmed with awe! So beautiful! I admit, I am jealous that you have the figure to wear all these gorgeous things. I am losing weight so I can get back in range of standard pattern measurements. I have no training in tailoring or pattern development, so my efforts are hit or miss. Like you, I am totally into the details. I am so happy to learn about your blog...truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The details are the fun part! With every effort, you will get better! I have no formal training, either, but the more I sew, the better it gets. I enjoy the learning. Best of luck!

      Delete