Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Veteran's Day Parade


Ah, sunnier, warmer times... 

Last month (and forgive me for the major delay in posting) it was surprisingly warm for the Veterans' Day Parade. The Southern Nevada Living History Association walked in the parade. The men were soldiers from different eras and the ladies spanned a good 80 years.


I was the earliest, in my natural form dress (that still isn't finished). I've worn it twice now and it still has basting stitches. Haha oh well.

For the parade, I left my snazzy trained skirt at home, and instead wore an old black costumey skirt I bought ages ago. But only about a foot showed, so it worked out great. And I didn't bring a ton of asphalt and grease home with me :)

So why wear an unfinished dress with the wrong skirt, you ask? Well, an excuse to wear the bonnet of course!

I got a new bonnet recently, from Mrs. Parker's Mercantile, and I was super stoked to have an excuse to wear it :) Yay!

In other news, I did a lot of sewing in October and November. Unfortunately I didn't get great photos of any of it, so I haven't posted about it. I made up an 1860's paletot and hood, an "ermine" muff and a early 1900's petticoat. Oh! And I knit a sontag, which I love. So, hopefully soon I will have an excuse to wear them and I can get some good photos to share.

Next up... more regency bits for the Jane Austen Evening in Pasadena next month. Anyone else going?

10 comments:

  1. The entire combination looks great!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how narrow your NFE dress is!! Very hobble-y!! Most wonderful!!

    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried to make it as slim as possible, but it opens at the back, at the knee, so you can walk freely. I'll have to take pictures of the back. It looks awesome with a train flowing out!

      Delete
    2. I am sure it looks fabulous from the back!! That us one of the things I love about the nfe dresses! Too fun!!!

      Delete
  3. More photos, please! :) I adore the silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Someday I will have a good photo in this dress. When I have worn it, I have forgotten to take pictures!

      Delete
  4. While not necessarily a big fan of period pieces, this one impresses me. You've done a great job with the details. I showed it to my wife and sister-in-law, both home-seamstresses and they asked me if you used an original design or found something on the Internet. I stared at them like they were aliens for a real long time.

    Brad Post @ Jan Dils

    ReplyDelete