Monday, November 21, 2011

Because one can never have enough china...

One of my favorite things to do when we have parties is to set the table. I absolutely love it. Forget for parties - I even do it for breakfast! (Yes, this morning we had eggs on our Wedgwood.) When I go to museums or historic houses, I looooove the dining rooms. I also looooooooooooooove the pantries! All that space to store flatwear and silverwear and silver and serving items and crystal and everything. Oh I drool! I have a big thing for collecting china and silver and for using them. A lot.

But right now I have our kitchen absolutely packed. Packed to the brim. The cupboards are bursting. 

This is unfortunate, since I realllly, realllllllly, realllllllllly want a set of this...


How fabulous is this?! For Titanic's 100th anniversary, Royal Crown Derby has reissued the original pattern used in one of the ship's restaurants. The china is being made the exact same way (hand painted), and even in the same place, as the originals were.

Pattern book from the Royal Crown Derby archives. 1911.

Original plate from the ship.

Reissue plate with cup and saucer below.


Spode also has a Titanic reproduction china, based on the original pattern used aboard the ship. They currently call this pattern "Lancaster." You can find it on Replacements Ltd.

Original Spode cobalt china from the Titanic.

Spode "Lancaster"

The Titanic Store also has reproduction china from various restaurants on the Titanic. Also check out this link, which shows most of the patterns used on board. Pretty cool, but I just love the Royal Crown Derby pattern. Gorgeous!

First Class Dining Saloon

Menu from April 14th, 1912

Cafe Parisian

Verandah Cafe and Palm Court

1 comment:

  1. Love this stuff as well, and good for you, that you use your lovely things often. Why wait?! That's what they're there for, to bring beauty to every day life!

    ReplyDelete