Monday, March 26, 2012

A Mad Men Themed Party



Yesterday evening we had some friends over for the new season of Mad Men. A few hours before, we decided we were going to dress up for it. Pretty last minute, but luckily I have a good collection of vintage dresses.

I chose a 1950's one-shoulder, cotton dress with a charming shoulder bow. Underneath, I layered some What Katie Did faux-vintage undies and a petticoat. I would have liked a fluffier petti or a couple layered, but as I said, this was last minute. The merry widow from What Katie Did was perfect. I highly recommend it. It has an excellent silhouette and the straps come off. The shoes are cut out "leather" from Forever 21. They reminded me of jelly shoes.

Glamour Merry Widow by What Katie Did

The biggest challenge was my hair. I have a lot of it and it's quite long - past my waist. Not super in style for the era. I did a little experimenting and started wrapping my hair around my fingers, rolling it under and pinning it to the base of my head. After a good handful of pins I had a pretty convincing pageboy.

And of course, I painted my nails red :)

Good view of the hair.

And from a slightly different angle...

Puppies!

For the menu we did very American picnic food - fried chicken and potato salad, deviled eggs, chips and sour cream dip and apple pie. And lots of yummy drinks: bottled coke, martinis, gimlets, gibsons and old fashioneds. We found the cutest plates from Sur la Table. Blue plaid and very picnic. 

And no self-respecting housewife would be without a perfect apron! I found one at the same store that matched my dress perfectly. Yay!


Sur la Table Blue-Plaid collection

Sur la Table Polka-Dot Rooster napkin holder

Sur la Table Roosevelt vintage-inspired half apron.

4 comments:

  1. You look adorable! Sounds like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant!
    I'll have to give Mad Men another go. I watched the first season but found it uncomfortable viewing from a woman's (me!) perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first season is kind of eh. My husband and I got hooked with the set design and clothing etc. Then we got sucked into the story. The ladies do kind of get the short end of the stick, though...

      Delete