I started working on the embroidery panels of an 1804 dress from the Met that I absolutely love. It's quite simple embroidery, only using french knots and satin stitch. I sketched out a pattern on paper and then, as I had time, I traced the design onto the fabric, worked a bit, left off and came back as I pleased. So far I have the waist band completed and a few repeats of the front motif. I used a little heavier thread than I would have liked, but the embroidery on the original dress looks a bit heavy, too. The fabric is a thin, plain weave cotton I had on hand. Maybe a voile.
|Detail of an unfinished repeat.|
|A completed repeat. Please excuse the hoop, |
which gives a funny perspective,
making the work appear distorted in size.
|The waistband, pinned onto the dressform. |
She is wearing a regency era corset from Period Corsets.
|The original dress. White cotton evening gown. |
1804-5, French. At the Met (1983.6.1).
|This image shows good detail of the original embroidery.|
I also have a bit of the bodice done. I can't wait to take the tree down and get back to having free time. Hurray for January. And happy new year to all!