Friday, December 26, 2014

The belated Christmas dress (that I may or may not hate).


After the quick and easy success of my wool trousers, I thought a dress would be a breeze. I was going to see The Nutcracker Saturday evening, so on a whim Saturday morning, I started in on a 1930's frock, somehow thinking I could finish it in a day. Crazy, I know. 



Well, I actually got pretty far. I gave up a half hour before I had to get dressed to leave. I was one hem and closure short of a wearable dress.

The closure, though. Ick.

I'm not sure what to do, now that I have no deadline to finish (maybe New Years?...). In my speed race, I was thinking of slicing the back open to the hem (currently it ends in a slash that goes into the CB skirt piece) and putting in an easy zipper. The pattern, however, calls for a continuous lap placket, closing with worked button holes and buttons. 

But in all honesty, I don't know if I'm going to like this dress enough to commit my time to all those button holes/loops. I'm not sure what to do now. I could do tube button loops. Not that that is much easier. Not to mention, hard to get in and out of! Or do I close up the back with a seam the length of the dress, and put a sneaky zipper or hooks in the side seam? Help. Opinions, please!!


Well, it's on it's way, I guess. I don't know if I like it, though. It's kind of a weird fabric, which is not terribly flattering on the body. It even makes my mannequin look fat! I might change the sleeves, which may help, since, in general, the dress kind of swallows me up. Maybe the festive little flouncy sleeve on the pattern envelope... Something needs help.

And it looks so chic in the illustration. Haha, I thought this had a chance of being a one day project! Bah!

Thursday, December 25, 2014

HSF #23: Modern History. A pair of 1930's trousers.


The Challenge: #23, Modern History

Fabric: Lightweight wool suiting in a green Glen plaid

Pattern: Wearing History's Smooth Sailing Trousers

Year: 1930's

Notions: Thread, buttons

How historically accurate is it? Good, I guess.

Hours to complete: The prep took an afternoon, and the sewing another afternoon. Very quick.

First worn: Last weekend, for a Christmas party

Total cost: I think I got the wool on sale for about $7/yd. And it took about 3 yards, I think.

---

Well first off, Merry Christmas to all! I hope everyone has been having a lovely holiday season.

Over here it's been pretty busy, but I still found a couple afternoons to whip up a new pair of 1930's trousers. I so love the Wearing History pattern! It goes together so nicely and quickly and just makes a really good looking pair of pants.

For this pair, I used some lightweight plaid wool. I deviated from the pattern by adding a lapped, side closure with buttons instead of a zip. Next pair, I want to add some pockets!  



And they're comfy enough for playing with the pups, too!