Thursday, January 2, 2014

The first project of 2014!


My first project of the new year is an embroidered reticule, very much based on this one from the Met. 


The bag is made from leftover bits of silk, lined with cotton. The embroidery is metallic floss and the ties are done up with pearl cotton, made into little ropes. The tassels are of the same pearl cotton.





It is made up of four identical pieces, lined and whipstitched to each other. The ties run through a channel at the top. 


The embroidery was actually really quick. I often get a little ehhh... before starting something with embroidery, because I think it will take forever. These two little motifs were very doable, though. Like, a few hours. Just satin stitches, back stitches and some french knots.

Makes me want to do more!

3 comments:

  1. Pretty! It's nice that you already know how to embroider. Just think about how much more daunting it would seem if you don't know how to embroider (like me!). :) I've had reticules on the brain, too...

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but you make everything so lovely! I'm sure if you took on some embroidery, it would be beautiful. I used satin stitches, which are basically really long running stitches, back stitches and then the french knots are pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You would do great!

      Delete
  2. Well, I declare! That's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! Bravo! If that's the first project of the year, can you imagine what we can expect by year end!!

    ReplyDelete