Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Happy Birthday, Mozart!


Yesterday was Mozart's birthday. Happy Birthday, Herr Mozart!

Mozart's birthday has always been an excuse for a party. It's near and dear to my heart because my mom had a Mozart party every year, and dressing up for it started my 18th century sewing. Last night she had a little party and we dressed up and ate sacher torte and Riesling and had a great time!


Lately I've been really good about getting things out of the to-do/mending pile. I trimmed my printed cotton jacket and used the rest of the fabric to make up a petticoat. The petticoat has a bit of piecing, too, but I kinda like it! Why the piecing? I bought the fabric from a shop in Williamsburg, and it was already cut into one yard lengths. This made for an interesting time cutting up the pieces so that the design looked decent. But I just love piecing! I love it :)

For the trim, I had very little fabric. Why add trim? The jacket was originally laced over a stomacher. I'm a bit lazy and would rather pin than lace, so I covered the holes, and the rest of the hem of the jacket, with inch wide, knife pleated trim. 

I gave in and just ordered a couple more yards of the fabric so I could remake the front and ditch the stomacher. Maybe a cut away look… Maybe just a center front closing style… Something to make it more up to date, as in later in the century. The stomacher kind of clashes with the later century, informal jacket style. At least it seems to me, after trying to find period examples to copy. I went for 1780's last night.


I accessorized with my favorite wig, an equipage, a ribbon in my hair, my elbow ruffles, of course, silk shoes and a cute little breast knot. 



Yum! Sacher torte and Viennese cocoa. Those Austrians love their sweets! Want a little tour of Salzburg and Mozart's home? Click here.




My dog is obsessed with Kitty. So jealous! If I went near the cat, pup was like hey! Hey! What about me!?


Good night, Mozart! I finally got a picture in my hooded cloak and muff. The muff is rabbit fur in imitation of ermine, and the cloak is green silk satin, lined with green wool. Warm! I only had enough fur trim to go around the front. Someday I'll have to get around to trimming the bottom edge in fur, too. And maybe add some arm slits… I'll order more.

20 comments:

  1. Super pretty! I want to see a bigger pic of your equipage.

    And - puppy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next up - equipage close up! Will do :)

      Delete
  2. fantastic! I love
    Ludwik August

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid! You look lovely. Your hair is so perfect, and I am jealous of your cape :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo thank you :) It started life as a "showgirl" wig lol

      Delete
  4. Ooo, yay! Your jacket looks great on. I love the color of your stays, too! It's very possible I've seen them before, but it seems like I haven't.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've posted briefly about them, but I was bad last fall and didn't keep up with posting as much as I would have liked. I think I have quite a few little bits that never really got to be shared.

      Delete
  5. Lovely look! Did you make the wig yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes I did. It was kind of a bad, fluffy, wavy mullet to start with. Shag? I don't know. But I teased the heck out of the top half, sprayed a bit, curled the bottom bits, and drowned the whole thing in corn starch. Then shook it out. It stays powdered quite well. I haven't had to add any yet.

      Delete
    2. Really? Damn! I wish I had plenty of awful wigs to experiment with them. This particular style is really pretty with those little waves reminding me of Gibson Girls' hairstyles!

      Delete
    3. I really like the wavy bits in front. I based the wig off of the painting the stolen kiss by Fragonard.

      Delete
    4. Oooh I've adored this painting ever since! Maybe that's why I like the wig so much!

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of celebrating Mozart's birthday. Your hair and ensemble look perfect, that Williamsburg print is so charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you! It is a cute print. It's hard to find good chintzie prints that look "for the western market" enough.

      Delete
  7. You look lovely , Very good job
    Thanks for your Nice Pics

    ReplyDelete