Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Costumes and Ponies


Meet the pony. Well, he's not a pony, but even with his lengthy string of noble sounding names, he still gets called "pony". Often in a voice totally unfitting to a huge animal, but hey, I talk to my doberman in a mini voice too. They're all my babies!

Anyway, I'm introducing you because he is the reason for my costume brainstorming today.

For Halloween, my barn has a costume contest. Obviously, this involves the horse as well. 
I spent this morning browsing horse and rider costumes, which truthfully are all very clumsy looking: horse as dragon, you knight. Horse as __(large, boxy thing)__, you __(uncomfortable costume)__, etc etc. 

I briefly toyed with the idea of making him medieval-looking tack but then I would have to make a dress. I also thought, "aha! A redingote! Marie Antoinette rode astride!" But I think that one would be lost on most of the crowd, not to mention both those ideas left me making more costumes, which I really don't have time for. 

But then it came to me -- a circus girl! A cute, vintage style circus rider to be exact.

See more totally cute vintage circus
gals at The Decophile

I love it. I was just watching Water for Elephants and now I have visions of me with a cute sparkly headband, marcelled bob and ballet slippers. I will have to work on fancying up the horse, too, but at least he wont have to wear anything too bad, maybe an ostrich plume or two...

I know it's far away, but now I'm excited :)

Anyone else dress up their pets?

Reese Witherspoon in Water for Elephants.

12 comments:

  1. I just have to say I think this idea is genius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you even read the Nancy Drew book when she learned to be an Equestrian stunt rider with a circus? That's all I can think about now!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love Nancy Drew! I never read that one, though. I will have to find it and for it a go now.

      Delete
  3. The idea of ballet slippers + hooves (shod or unshod!) gives me the willies! But I didn't know you were a horse owner, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was like how do I work boots into this equation? Haha I could always go ice skater status and cover my boots with tights but somehow I think that would look hiddeous...

      My trainer showed me a pic of a girl who wore flip flops to the barn - it was ugly. Really ugly.

      Delete
    2. Oh I've seen that float around, but refuse to look at it. I never wear anything but paddock boots when I enter the barn, or my hard boat shoes.

      You could get a pair of really big ballet slippers and wear them over the boots, like the Tingley rubber boot covers!

      What breed is your pony? And what seat do you ride?

      Delete
    3. I might just work boots into the costume.

      He is a Holsteiner gelding and I ride English. He's a jumper. I just do it for fun, though. No competing, so I stick to mostly flatwork.

      How about you?

      Delete
    4. Yay German warmbloods! I have a Hanoverian mare and an Appendix gelding. I'm a dressage rider with a love of popping over fallen trees and going on leisurely trail rides. Both are old (27 and 24 respectively), and while I've toyed with going to some dressage schooling shows 15 minutes down the road, I don't think it would be fair to them! My mare hasn't been off her other mom's property in 17 years! We have fun, though, especially when my mare decides to throw a one-horse rodeo because I won't let her canter (see: Saturday).

      Delete
  4. You lucky horse owner you!! And yes we dress up our long-suffering labrador for halloween too :) As far as ballet slippers around hooves goes....ouch!! You could always wear boots up until the contest and then quickly change? If you are mounted then there wouldn't be a danger of crushed toes.....right? OR, you could go with a darker colored sparkly costume and boots might not look that silly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally thinking black with silver sparklies! I already have a bit of a plan to bedazzle a black bridle and add plumes! I will probably shine up my black boots and wear them.

      I don't know how all those real circus girls wear little slippers. I guess that's why they're professionals :)

      Delete
  5. There's an award for you on my blog!
    http://teacupsamongthefabric.blogspot.com/2012/10/versatile-blogger-award.html
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete