Monday, December 5, 2011

Grab the clotted cream and crumpets! It's time for tea.


I love waking up to packages at my door! Today my Blue Canton tea set arrived. I'm in love.

In the 18th century, blue and white "Canton" ware became very popular, and remained so into the 19th century. Canton, now called Guangzhou, is a port city that was along the silk road. The East India company traded through this port and brought back chinese porcelain to Europe. For a much more in depth article, click here.

Vue du port de Canton. Anglo-Chinese School, 1900.

The Washington's had a set of blue and white canton ware at Mount Vernon, as their everyday china. It was left to Martha's granddaughter, Nelly Custis.

To buy reproduction Blue Canton, check out Mottahedeh.

Richard Collins, A Family of Three at Tea, 1727.

Pour the darjeeling, darlings. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to have some tea right now, especially in those blue cups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come back to your posting! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I will have to post soon. I'm at home with a yucky cold today :( but on the bright side maybe I'll have some time in between naps...

    ReplyDelete